Through hair donations collected from the public through our annual Make the Cut: Hair Donation Campaign and Hair Drives organized in collaboration with L’Oreal Professionnel, we are able to provide patients in need with wigs to wear for the duration of their treatment free-of-charge.
How it Happens:
Step 1: Call us on 79-158471 or 01-203112 to schedule an appointment at our office (visits occur on Mondays, Wednesdays or Fridays). Plan a day you are feeling comfortable and it helps to bring someone along.
Step 2: Prepare and bring a copy of your oncologist’s medical form stating you will be undergoing chemotherapy for our records.
Step 3: During your appointment at our office, you’ll have a chance to try the wigs we currently have available. We’ll help match you with the closest to your natural hairstyle and color. In the case we don’t have one available in your specifications, we will get one made for you, but anticipate 2 weeks to receive it.
Step 4: We’ll fill in an application form with you to complete the process.
Step 5: After leaving our office, take the wig to your hairdresser to be washed and prepared for you. We allow minor changes and adjustments but hair may not be cut more than 5 centimeters or changed into another color. In the case you require a different style, contact us to match you with another more appropriate wig.
Step 6: Wear and use the wig whenever needed! Take good care of it and of yourself during treatment.
Step 7: In a few months, once you have completed treatment and no longer need the wig, get in touch with us to drop it back to our office so another patient may benefit. Please wash it in advance before returning it.
Step 8: Enjoy the road to recovery!
Frequently Asked Questions:
- When should I get a wig? As soon as you find out you will be undergoing chemotherapy, it’s best to start looking for a wig. Depending on your treatment, you hair may either fall following the first or second chemotherapy session so the sooner you have all you need to cope with the resulting hair loss, the better.
- What if my hair has already started falling? If you didn’t have a chance to get the wig before chemotherapy, that’s ok too! Please bring pictures of your hairstyle so we may match the closest wig. You may also try the different options if you want to try something different.
- Are the wigs made from synthetic or natural hair? They are made from human (natural) hair and in the best possible quality to ensure you look the best way possible during treatment. The wig is made from hair donations received from across Lebanon. Some of the wigs have been donated from women who have completed treatment and who wanted to support other patients like you.
- How much do I need to pay for the wig? Absolutely nothing! The wigs are offered for free for those who need it and we ask for nothing in return. We only ask you take care of it and simply return it once you have completed treatment or no longer need it so someone else can benefit from it.
- How do I take care of my wig? Almost all hairdressers in Lebanon know how to wash and style wigs. Your personal stylist is the best person to take it too as he/she would already be familiar with your preferred hair style. We can also recommend stylists we know if you don’t have your own option. As the wigs are natural, they will need to be washed once a week to maintain the style and quality. Purchase or borrow a plastic wig stand to put your wig on when you’re not wearing it to preserve its style. Brush it gently holding firmly to the top of the wig so as not to pull the strands out.
- Can I customize the style of the wig? Small adjustments in hair style are allowed but changing the color or cutting it more than 5 centimeters is not allowed. We’d prefer to match you with another wig more suitable to what you need.
- When do I need to return it? Once you have completed treatment and no longer need the wig, please wash and return it back to our office. Usually, patients return the wigs within 1-2 years, depending on the duration of their treatment and how quickly their hair grows back. With a high demand for wigs, our collection is always in need of various styles
- What if the wig I borrowed gets damaged? Most wigs are quite durable so we don’t expect there to be any major damage, but do keep careful and take care of it as much as possible. In the case your wig gets lost or severely damaged so that it no longer can be worn, we will require you replace it with another one of the same style or cover the cost for another one.
- Can I loan my wig to another patient I know? We apologize, but this is not possible. We keep track of all wigs made and lent to patients so we ask the wig gets returned to us first and then the patient in need may come to our office to try a suitable wig.
- Where do I return the wig once I no longer need it? Right back to us. Please wash and dry it before dropping it back so it stays in good shape for the next patient who needs it.
Most of the time, no one will even notice you are wearing a wig. We feel it more than others around us so feel assured that no one will give you funny looks.
Your hair will grow back and usually even better than before! Hair loss resulting from treatment is devastating for any woman and is one of the harshest side effects but it will return. This is but a temporary phase in your life and you will overcome it.
Your hair will be back before you know it!